Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There is really light at the end of the tunnel......
08-01-2015, 10:12 PM
There is really light at the end of the tunnel......
Hi Guys,

Just read the posting of MarkH about the deafening silence, and ideed it is very silent lately here on the forum.
Let me break the silence by stating that my Yoke is being shipped yesterday, and it goes without saying that I'm very pleased with this. I participated in the project as a kickstarter back in nov. 2014, I was told, long ago, I was #47 on the list, whatever value that may have.
I changed the default Yoke handle to a Beech Handle without clock and asked them for a longer shaft as the unit will be mounted behind a Main Instrument Panel, both were no problem.
So last night I received a mail from Pat stating that the unit was boxed and send to UPS fort shipping. I also got the tracking number for the shipment.
As soon as I receive the unit I will take pictures and let you guys know my findings and experience installing the unit in my simulator.

So, units are still being produced and shipped out to customers although I have no idea in what order or priority this is done. I do know that there are (or were) serious issues with the quality of the default Yoke Handle, maybe as I have changed to a Beech handles things were speed up a bit.
Regarding communication.......what shall I say.....once I established contact to change the order, communciation with the guys went quite smoothly I must say. Nevertheless, it would be much better when they regularly show up here on the forum to inform all customers about progress. But obviously they decided not to do that, which is not very good in my opinion.

Best regards,

Lizz
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2015, 10:50 PM
RE: There is really light at the end of the tunnel......
(08-01-2015 10:12 PM)Lizz Wrote:  Hi Guys,
Let me break the silence by stating that my Yoke is being shipped yesterday, and it goes without saying that I'm very pleased with this.
Lizz

Great news Lizz your persistence has paid off. Green with envy.
08-11-2015, 04:19 AM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2015 04:20 AM by Lizz.)
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to let you know that my Yoke arrived today, a long trip all the way from Canada but it is sitting here on my table.
To be honest.....never ever thought that this would happen...I always kept in mind that there was a possibility I never would see it. I even knew moments of extreme anger and powerlessness about the whole situation. I shopped around for alternatives but never dared to buy somewhere else as...well...it still was possible that I would get it.
I will use this post to keep you guys updated on how it goes, installing and using the Yoke in my sim.
To start with I had to unpack the whole thing, I know there were some packaging issue in the past so I was very eager to see how the Yoke was packed. I ordered the Yoke with the PFC Alu Beech Handle without clock and a somewhat extended shaft length to facilitate the mounting behind the MIP.
Attached you will find some pictures of the unpacking process.

I was impressed with the way the unit was packed, a very solid 'box in a box' and a lot of foam to absorb shocks and to prevent the unit from moving. The whole packing seems to be very professional, so that is a good start.
The whole unit looks clean and nice no scratches or damages and the Beech handle is extremely nice, heavy in spite it is Aluminum but feels very solid.
Mounting of the Beech handle is very easy, it differs compared with the default Boeing Yoke but it was a matter of minutes do do it.
And holy crap the unit is heavy whow......as it was tightly packed in the box I really had to use my muscles to get it out. It is now on my desk for testing and I can tell you this Yoke is going nowhere.....it is simply too heavy.

So, next step is to do the first tests and I will post here to share my findings.

Best regards,

[attachment=93]

08-11-2015, 06:20 AM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2015 06:22 AM by john MD.)
Well done Lizz, the first of the backers (apart from clarksbrother who has never confirmed receipt) who have recorded their long wait on these forums, to receive their yoke, apart from the early disasters of course. Surely there are others out there who we have never heard from.

Let's hope for some good news for the rest of us patient souls.

John

.xls  Iris Dynamics.xls (Size: 36.5 KB / Downloads: 6)
08-11-2015, 10:41 AM
Good news, Lizz. Looking forward to your reports and photos of your sim setup.

Should be evident now that the way to get a unit delivered is to upgrade to the PFC Beech yoke handle. Seems pretty clear that the manufacturing process for the original yoke handles is just too costly and time consuming. Waiting for the original and cheaper yoke handles is still an option, but given what we know about the manufacturing challenges, it is pretty clear that Iris is not in a position to divert time and personnel to this task. All that history is in earlier Forum threads.

I think Iris is focusing on priorities just as any small tech business must. So we are best to consider our own time and financial limits and make decisions accordingly.

Best regards
RMM
08-11-2015, 08:07 PM
(08-11-2015 10:41 AM)RMM Wrote:  Should be evident now that the way to get a unit delivered is to upgrade to the PFC Beech yoke handle. Seems pretty clear that the manufacturing process for the original yoke handles is just too costly and time consuming.

This seems to be true indeed, it is a pitty that the original handle causes so much production troubles. The PFC Beech handle is a pretty expensive alternative but....there is a but.......Inspite of this I still think the whole deal (being a kickstarter....) is not bad at all. I calculated that the unit as it is on my desk right now did cost me 1500 Euro, which is not bad for such a unit compared with other control loading solutions in the market. This price is incl. the Yoke itself, the Beech handle, shipping cost, extended shaft, customs charges and taxes, so not bad at all. Of course this is only valid when you are a kickstarter, if you had to do the same now it would possibly be double the cost.

(08-11-2015 06:20 AM)john MD Wrote:  Well done Lizz, the first of the backers (apart from clarksbrother who has never confirmed receipt) who have recorded their long wait on these forums, to receive their yoke, apart from the early disasters of course. Surely there are others out there who we have never heard from.

Thanks John, I think it is important to show to other people here in the forum that things are still alive......
I really do not understand why there are not more people posting their experience here in the forum, maybe once they receive their yoke they are not interested anymore, I don't know. I will check the serial number of my unit tonight, this might give an indication how many yokes (users) there should be out there roughly......
I will post as much as possible sharing my experiences with the yoke anyway.

Regards,
Lizz
08-11-2015, 09:14 PM
(08-11-2015 10:41 AM)RMM Wrote:  Should be evident now that the way to get a unit delivered is to upgrade to the PFC Beech yoke handle. Seems pretty clear that the manufacturing process for the original yoke handles is just too costly and time consuming.
Yes that was my thinking too, so on the 6th of June I e-mailed Iris requesting an upgrade to a Beechcraft yoke handle. Apart from and automated acknowledement of my message I received the normal stony silence and have heard nothing since, but I shouldn't be surprised!!

(08-11-2015 08:07 PM)Lizz Wrote:  Thanks John, I think it is important to show to other people here in the forum that things are still alive......
I really do not understand why there are not more people posting their experience here in the forum, maybe once they receive their yoke they are not interested anymore, I don't know. I will check the serial number of my unit tonight, this might give an indication how many yokes (users) there should be out there roughly......
I will post as much as possible sharing my experiences with the yoke anyway.
Thanks Lizz it is good to hear from successful backers such as yourself, to me at least it is a glimmer of hope that things are still moving. I think you are right about people losing interest in the forums once they have received their yokes. I also think we are among the few who have become almost obsessed with receiving the product, that goes for me anyway. I have also ordered a set of MFG Crosswind pedals, promised for September and am more confident about that date. Also no money has changed hands yet. Keep in touch.
08-13-2015, 12:50 AM
hello guys and gals

Is there maybe one topic area used just for just reviews and setup discussions.firmware changes?
That are would also be for additional software discussions such as FsForce,also how it reacts to different manufactured planes (a2a and flight following)
Not looking for a place that turns into a rant area regarding orders ,thats been done.
Maybe Liz your next post will be the new topic just for that and only that.
08-13-2015, 10:09 AM
(08-13-2015 12:50 AM)cfdog Wrote:  hello guys and gals

Not looking for a place that turns into a rant area regarding orders ,thats been done.
Maybe Liz your next post will be the new topic just for that and only that.
I think there is a topic headed something like "initial impressions" https://forums.irisdynamics.com/showthread.php?tid=70 but please don't deny us loyal backers who have waited patiently since the birth of this project, and maybe still waiting, the opportunity to share a little self pity. Personally I need the support.
08-14-2015, 12:17 PM
Hello everyone,
I also decided to opt for the Beechcraft style handle and sent an email to request it on July 21. Today I received a reply from Pat to let me know that he has an order of handles coming in next week and asking me exactly which options I wanted with respect to switches and clock. Looks like it won't be too much longer until I receive my package!
Just to remind you, I was probably one of the last pre-order customers because I got my order in during the last few days before the expiry of the pre-order period.
Good luck to everyone who is still waiting.