Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where's the line?
05-29-2015, 06:51 AM (This post was last modified: 05-29-2015 04:38 PM by MarkH.)
Where's the line?
Given the continued lack of any contact from Iris we must presume that things continue to be bleak and that as a backer my chances of ever seeing a yoke are slim. My question is, at what point is Iris obliged to call it quits and begin returning money to their creditors? Legally I would expect this to be the point at which they recognise they have no realistic chance of meeting their obligations.

And to any legal eagles out there, does a pre-order customer have any extra privilege over a backer? I think by now it is clear that Iris has well and truly reneged on its commitment to backers, which was to supply 'the first production batch yokes'. It's not just that they are literally a year overdue, it's the fact that they have chosen to use our money to supply our yokes to people who have placed later orders for production yokes.

I understand that there may have been a business case to be made for what they have done, but the fact is Iris made a legal commitment to us and they appear to have disregarded it without so much as even telling us, let alone consulting us. That is the part that seems indefensible, and I trust that Iris will called to account for it when this whole mess finally unravels. And that's even without taking into consideration the dubious retention of shipping fees (9 months to date) long past the point where it became clear they were not going to be shipping anything.

This extract from the Kickstarter FAQ seems pertinent:

What is a creator obligated to do once their project is funded?

When a project is successfully funded, the creator is responsible for completing the project and fulfilling each reward. Their fundamental obligation to backers is to finish all the work that was promised. Once a creator has done so, they’ve fulfilled their obligation to their backers. At the same time, backers must understand that Kickstarter is not a store. When you back a project, you’re helping to create something new — not ordering something that already exists. There’s a chance something could happen that prevents the creator from being able to finish the project as promised. If a creator is absolutely unable to complete the project and fulfill rewards, they must make every reasonable effort to find another way of bringing the project to a satisfying conclusion for their backers.

MarkH

[Image: 74a2117f47009890699829d38699715a.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2015, 02:24 AM
RE: Where's the line?
I wonder if there is any way for us to get a better picture by logging who receives their yoke, what order number they are and when they got it... stuff like that. I figure most of us are checking this forum for progress so we all should be willing to participate. If we knew one was going out per week, or 6 per month, or nothing at all, we could better gauge if this is ever going to happen. Then draw the line MarkH is talking about...
06-04-2015, 04:57 AM
(06-04-2015 02:24 AM)barnecut Wrote:  I wonder if there is any way for us to get a better picture by logging who receives their yoke, what order number they are and when they got it... stuff like that. I figure most of us are checking this forum for progress so we all should be willing to participate. If we knew one was going out per week, or 6 per month, or nothing at all, we could better gauge if this is ever going to happen. Then draw the line MarkH is talking about...
barnecut

I notice you are a relative newcomer to this site, forgive me if I'm wrong, but if you would like to trawl the list for old posts going way back when, you will see a number of us have made similar suggestions in the past. Whilst it seems a good idea, very few people have volunteered the information.

I like to think that some out there are slowly getting their promised devices and my theory is that once received, any possible interest in delivery dates is soon forgotten. As I say this is only a theory on my part and I've had a number of those in the past.

It would be interesting to know if you were an original Kickstarter backer or pre order customer and where you were in the list for delivery, information which a few of us have given in the past.

In the meantime it's good to see that the interest lives on.

John (stir crazy from the waiting)
06-04-2015, 06:57 AM
Quote:It would be interesting to know if you were an original Kickstarter backer or pre order customer and where you were in the list for delivery, information which a few of us have given in the past.

Talk about practicing what you preach! I should have included my info already:
Pre-order #623 July 9, 2014 Completed $896.69 for 1 item

I saw a few people volunteer this information but I understand the point that there is no easy way to pull it altogether.

Got my Slaw Device F16 rudder pedals last week so now my terrible Saitek yoke is the only weak link in the chain.
06-04-2015, 07:36 AM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2015 07:42 AM by john MD.)
(06-04-2015 06:57 AM)barnecut Wrote:  Got my Slaw Device F16 rudder pedals last week so now my terrible Saitek yoke is the only weak link in the chain.

barnecut

Have you no conscience? Why did you have to tell me about the Slaw device? I'd never heard of them/it before now and had looked at all sorts of options but not seen anything that particularly caught my eye. Now I want some of these!

If the look is anything to go by then the quality is impressive. There I was thinking I was not going to spend too much money again this month, should have known better!

Back to the original post though. Don't know how the pre-order numbers compare but if they started at #1 there must be a worrying number still waiting and us Kickstarters have to wait until those are honoured!!!

John
06-04-2015, 10:45 PM
No conscience at all! We should try talking Slaw into making yokes with the iris dev kit. Off topic, i guess...
06-05-2015, 01:06 AM
BRUNNER Elektronik is apparently at an advanced stage in developing a 2nd more affordable (ha ha ha) control loading rudder pedals.

I would be surpriced if they end up being priced south of 1500 Euros.
06-05-2015, 01:32 AM
(06-04-2015 10:45 PM)barnecut Wrote:  No conscience at all! We should try talking Slaw into making yokes with the iris dev kit. Off topic, i guess...

If the pedal quality is anything to go by then they certainly have the capability.
06-05-2015, 02:45 AM
(06-05-2015 01:06 AM)Hornet Wrote:  BRUNNER Elektronik is apparently at an advanced stage in developing a 2nd more affordable (ha ha ha) control loading rudder pedals.

It cannot have escaped anyone's notice that they also do a comparably-priced (and way more finished-looking) FFB yoke.

MarkH

[Image: 74a2117f47009890699829d38699715a.jpg]
06-05-2015, 09:59 AM
(06-05-2015 02:45 AM)MarkH Wrote:  
(06-05-2015 01:06 AM)Hornet Wrote:  BRUNNER Elektronik is apparently at an advanced stage in developing a 2nd more affordable (ha ha ha) control loading rudder pedals.

It cannot have escaped anyone's notice that they also do a comparably-priced (and way more finished-looking) FFB yoke.

Yeah but they dont have Iris inside Wink