Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FS Force Plugin Information
02-24-2015, 04:30 AM (This post was last modified: 02-24-2015 04:34 AM by russdirks.)
FS Force Plugin Information
Product Info : FS Force is an add-on for FSX / P3D that provides enhanced control loading / force feedback effects.
Web Site : www.fs-force.com

Greetings,

I thought a report would be helpful for FSX / P3D users regarding the FS Force add-on. I received the Iris yoke about 2 weeks ago, and after thorough testing, was not able to find any compatibility issues with my software. The yoke is capable of very strong forces, but also reproduces the more subtle ones with significant fidelity. I initially had my doubts that a magnetic type actuator would be able to reproduce things like high-frequency vibrations or ground bumps, but it actually does very well.

FS Force does not currently support autopilot following, but I am currently working on that, and expect to release something in a few weeks.

For any issues or questions, feel free to reply to this thread, or visit the forums on my web site.

Best regards,
Russel Dirks

FS Force
http://www.fs-force.com
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-25-2015, 10:07 PM
RE: FS Force Plugin Information
Great!
02-25-2015, 10:10 PM
Good stuff, I will be purchasing FS Force as soon as my Iris yoke arrives. Looking forward to the autopilot following in P3Dv2.
04-01-2015, 02:04 AM
Just to let you know that the Flight Yoke Add-on Package is now available for FS Force. It contains 2 features: Autopilot Follow and Aileron Remapping.

Autopilot Follow : pretty much what you would expect ... the yoke will move in response to autopilot activity.

Aileron Remapping : This may need some explaining. The Iris Flight Yoke was the first flight yoke that I have had the chance to use with FSX. One of the first things that struck me was the excessive amount of yoke deflection that was required to roll into and out of normal turns. For instance, in order to roll firmly into and out of a 30 degree bank turn at normal cruise speed, I was having to use FULL YOKE DEFLECTION. As a real pilot who has flown light GA type aircraft, I thought that was very unrealistic. Something on the order of 20 - 30 degrees of yoke input would have been more congruent with my experience.

After flying around in the sim a bit and doing some experimentation, I came to the conclusion that the cause of this anomaly was some special input mapping that FSX does between the physical game controller and the virtual yoke in the simulator. So the problem is not specific to the Iris Flight Yoke. Any flight yoke, FF or not, would exhibit this problem. I put together a little video to demonstrate the problem:

https://youtu.be/niJg2ePMHlk

It seems to me that the creators of FSX designed the simulator with the expectation that most users would be using a joystick. Most joysticks typically have about 30 degrees of motion from side to side. A real aircraft yoke, on the other hand, typically has about 90 degrees of motion from side to side. The engineers at Microsoft most likely decided that a linear mapping between the physical device and the virtual yoke would not be ideal, since it would lead to over sensitivity in the roll axis. I think they were right about that. However, this non-linear mapping is no longer needed or desirable when you are flying with a flight yoke, since it has a greater degree of motion.

Aileron Remapping basically straightens out the graph that you see in the video. It produces a very nearly linear relationship between the movement of the physical flight yoke and the virtual yoke in the simulator. With this feature turned on, you will find that you do not need to make such drastic yoke inputs to achieve normal roll rates.

The Flight Yoke Add-on Package is included in the most recent version of FS Force (2.8.0.4), however you will need to purchase a separate license key to activate the package. You can purchase at http://www.fs-force.com.

FS Force
04-01-2015, 03:22 AM
(04-01-2015 02:04 AM)russdirks Wrote:  Aileron Remapping

Is this non-linear mapping not what is disabled by adding this entry to fsx.cfg? (I read about this in the FSUIPC documentation.)

[CONTROLS]
stick_sensitivity_mode=0
04-01-2015, 06:00 AM
(04-01-2015 03:22 AM)MarkH Wrote:  Is this non-linear mapping not what is disabled by adding this entry to fsx.cfg? (I read about this in the FSUIPC documentation.)

No, that setting does not affect mapping linearity. You can try it yourself. As a matter of fact, based on my experimentation with that setting in FSX, in combination with Sensitivity and Nullzone, I'm not convinced that it actually does anything.

FS Force
04-02-2015, 03:24 AM (This post was last modified: 04-26-2015 12:07 AM by MarkH.)
(04-01-2015 06:00 AM)russdirks Wrote:  No, that setting does not affect mapping linearity. You can try it yourself. As a matter of fact, based on my experimentation with that setting in FSX, in combination with Sensitivity and Nullzone, I'm not convinced that it actually does anything.

Ah, okay. Maybe one day my Kickstarter yoke will arrive and I can try it out Sad

MarkH

[Image: 74a2117f47009890699829d38699715a.jpg]
05-13-2015, 01:02 PM
Any word for support on a Mac OSX?
05-13-2015, 01:12 PM
FS Force is compatible with FSX / P3D, both of which run on Windows. Are you enquiring about X-Plane? If so, please see this thread.

FS Force
02-26-2016, 05:57 PM
(04-01-2015 06:00 AM)russdirks Wrote:  
(04-01-2015 03:22 AM)MarkH Wrote:  Is this non-linear mapping not what is disabled by adding this entry to fsx.cfg? (I read about this in the FSUIPC documentation.)

No, that setting does not affect mapping linearity. You can try it yourself. As a matter of fact, based on my experimentation with that setting in FSX, in combination with Sensitivity and Nullzone, I'm not convinced that it actually does anything.

"You wait. Time passes."

Now I'm googling fs-force and finding myself! I have my yoke, so looking at getting it up and running soon. I have now figured out this FSX parameter (see my Saitek Cessna review) and you are right.

My question now is can I use fs-force with FSUIPC? Anyone know?

Meanwhile, back to google...

MarkH

[Image: 74a2117f47009890699829d38699715a.jpg]