Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
XPForce Plugin Information
02-20-2015, 08:19 PM
XPForce Plugin Information
XPForce is the plugin for X-Plane 9 and newer which really makes your controller come to life. This is the basic support and release information.

Download/Purchase: http://www.fsmissioneditor.com/XPForce/index.php
Support: Follow the "Support" link on the website.
Updates: The plugin can check for updates if you ask it to. Otherwise, subscribe to the news feed on the helpdesk (top left of the page).
Beta Build: http://www.fsmissioneditor.com/downloads...e_Beta.msi

I've now got my hands on the Iris Dynamics yoke and will be able to support it much better than before. For starters, the current beta build should fix the problems with axis inversion and improves the autopilot-following support.

For feedback on beta builds, or just general Q+A, feel free to reply here. If you need 1:1 support please use the helpdesk.

Regards,
Jim

Author, XPForce
http://www.fsmissioneditor.com/
[Image: logo_small.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-20-2015, 09:24 PM
RE: XPForce Plugin Information
Hey Jim,

that really sounds great to me. I'm waiting for my yoke but a yoke without software wont be very helpfull. so i have your software already on my list for things 2 buy.

john
02-21-2015, 03:22 AM (This post was last modified: 02-21-2015 03:23 AM by chksix.)
Is the plugin supporting mac OSX?
The links don't work (server not found).

http://www.eadt.eu/
02-21-2015, 03:40 AM
Hi,

(02-21-2015 03:22 AM)chksix Wrote:  Is the plugin supporting mac OSX?
The links don't work (server not found).

No, there's no support for Mac I'm afraid. Basically there are no usable drivers for *any* force-feedback controllers on the Mac that I've been able to find. If someone can point me to a working set then I'll be happy to make it work on the Mac.

I've checked the links and they seem fine to me.

Author, XPForce
02-21-2015, 03:54 AM
Cheers! This time they worked.
I hope someone can build drivers for the Iris yoke on mac.
(still waiting for mine)

02-21-2015, 08:24 AM
(02-20-2015 08:19 PM)jimkeir Wrote:  I've now got my hands on the Iris Dynamics yoke and will be able to support it much better than before. For starters, the current beta build should fix the problems with axis inversion and improves the autopilot-following support.

Yes. Thank you, thank you! That's what I was really waiting for. Just took a quick flight and it worked great...both in AP and manual. I'm so glad it was a quick fix.

Everyone should get this plug in.

-Dave
02-21-2015, 09:34 AM
(02-21-2015 08:24 AM)drwillow Wrote:  
(02-20-2015 08:19 PM)jimkeir Wrote:  I've now got my hands on the Iris Dynamics yoke and will be able to support it much better than before. For starters, the current beta build should fix the problems with axis inversion and improves the autopilot-following support.

Yes. Thank you, thank you! That's what I was really waiting for. Just took a quick flight and it worked great...both in AP and manual. I'm so glad it was a quick fix.

Everyone should get this plug in.

-Dave
Good to hear, I've got the plugin, just need the yoke!!
02-26-2015, 05:28 AM
Hi all,

In response to the people who've asked me about Linux support: I've had a try on Linux and it looks like there are a couple of incompatibilities with the current firmware. I've sent details to the good people at Iris Dynamics to let them fix those, but there's something else that's making the yoke immediately shut down, even when I've hacked the Linux driver to bypass the checks that are currently making it fail.

It looks as though the combination of the Linux driver being fussier than the Windows one, and whatever is making the yoke shut down immediately, are going to be a problem for a while. Even if these are fixed there's a remaining problem with the Linux driver where it only works with a single force effect. This is one of the two patches I sent to the kernel maintainers about 6 weeks ago but for whatever reason it's not being accepted. Until that's accepted, and it makes it into the mainstream releases, you'd need to apply a patch and build your own driver module and that's not a trivial task. See here if you want to give it a go anyway, and bear in mind that the current yoke firmware as of Feb 25th 2015 needs a couple of tweaks too.

Some other basic tests on Mac aren't overly promising either. It seems that even mainstream game controllers like the XBox 360 gamepad require 3rd-party drivers. Out of interest I tested that one just in case it worked with any device that followed the standard rules, but it didn't pick up the Iris Dynamics or the Microsoft Sidewinder. So, it looks like I'd need to write a generic USB force feedback driver for Mac from scratch. That's a fairly major piece of work. As before, if anyone knows any different then let me know and I'll do what I can.

Author, XPForce
02-26-2015, 04:56 PM
I'll gladly pay for that driver Big Grin

02-27-2015, 03:42 AM
Video RE: XPForce Plugin Information
For anyone interested, here is what Chad Grice had to say on 2014-09-01 about Iris Dynamics' support for Linux. It will probably be a while before they get to my order (queue #145 as of 2014-10-1). I'm crossing my fingers that everything gets worked out before then Smile

Chad Grice Wrote:Hello Joe,
We have not used the yoke with Linux running X-Plane yet. I would assume based on the USB drivers we are using it would work no problem. My commitment to you is we will work with you too make any parts of the software that may not work with Linux work properly. We are continuing to update the software side and will continue long after these units ship.

(02-26-2015 05:28 AM)jimkeir Wrote:  Hi all,

In response to the people who've asked me about Linux support: I've had a try on Linux and it looks like there are a couple of incompatibilities with the current firmware. I've sent details to the good people at Iris Dynamics to let them fix those, but there's something else that's making the yoke immediately shut down, even when I've hacked the Linux driver to bypass the checks that are currently making it fail.

It looks as though the combination of the Linux driver being fussier than the Windows one, and whatever is making the yoke shut down immediately, are going to be a problem for a while. Even if these are fixed there's a remaining problem with the Linux driver where it only works with a single force effect. This is one of the two patches I sent to the kernel maintainers about 6 weeks ago but for whatever reason it's not being accepted. Until that's accepted, and it makes it into the mainstream releases, you'd need to apply a patch and build your own driver module and that's not a trivial task. See here if you want to give it a go anyway, and bear in mind that the current yoke firmware as of Feb 25th 2015 needs a couple of tweaks too.

Some other basic tests on Mac aren't overly promising either. It seems that even mainstream game controllers like the XBox 360 gamepad require 3rd-party drivers. Out of interest I tested that one just in case it worked with any device that followed the standard rules, but it didn't pick up the Iris Dynamics or the Microsoft Sidewinder. So, it looks like I'd need to write a generic USB force feedback driver for Mac from scratch. That's a fairly major piece of work. As before, if anyone knows any different then let me know and I'll do what I can.