Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Initial Imppresions
02-04-2015, 11:34 AM
Initial Imppresions
My yoke arrived on Friday, full price not a Kickstarter. New packaging did the job, and now that the handle is detached looks easier to safely ship. Connecting the handle was a bit of a pain but nothing major, it was up and running in 10 minutes after it was unpacked.

I will not go in to details of handle finish detail or fan noise. What you see posted on youtube regarding new assembly is what I got. Having said that, the overall impression is sturdy and solid. Key instructions on how to adjust various aspects of the yoke and FF strength are there, but don't expect 50 page manual.

I use FSX and have just started using XPlane. In FSX NGX is the plane of choice, and in XPlane default planes such as Baron and KAir. Basic feedback is great, but using specific software such as FS Force and XPForce is another story.

My first impression is how real it feels. As a RWP flying the sim lack of any feel was my biggest challenge, and the yoke feedback is almost on par with what I feel in the real plane, very very cool. You feel not just the force needed for control input, but also subtle changes created by flaps and lending gear affecting air flow.

The ability to adjust the strength of yoke F-feedback makes a big difference, as you move from Cessna to 737 and for the first time when the plane enters flare, I can feel what the plane is doing and control the effects of crosswind. Stick shaker was a trip, as this was never there except the sound.

I do have to give credit to Pat, he was on top of all my questions and responded in timely fashion given the craziness of their current situation.

Zoran
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2015, 12:00 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2015 03:35 PM by Hornet.)
RE: Initial Imppresions
(02-04-2015 11:34 AM)zman Wrote:  My yoke arrived on Friday, full price not a Kickstarter......

Iris Dynamics permitting Queue Jumping. That's just great Customer Service.

Without Kickstarters there would not be a yoke and the linear actuator technology would not have been developed to a commercial standard. I really wish that Iris would send yokes out based on the date that order's were placed, just in case I am not making myself clear, this means:

1) Kickstarters
2) Pre-Orders
3) Full Price

It would be helpful if immediately after a batch of yokes are posted out that people in the next batch are sent an email confirming there order details and asking whether they would like to upgrade to a yoke with an aluminum handle etc.
02-04-2015, 05:45 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2015 05:51 PM by john MD.)
(02-04-2015 12:00 PM)Hornet Wrote:  
(02-04-2015 11:34 AM)zman Wrote:  My yoke arrived on Friday, full price not a Kickstarter......

Iris Dynamics permitting Queue Jumping. That's just great Customer Service.

Without Kickstarters there would not be a yoke and the linear actuator technology would not have been developed to a commercial standard. I really wish that Iris would send yokes out based on the date that order's were placed, just in case I am not making myself clear, this means:

1) Kickstarters
2) Pre-Orders
3) Full Price

It would be helpful if immediately after a batch of yokes are posted out that people in the next batch are sent an email confirming there order details and asking whether they would like to upgrade to a yoke with an aluminum handle etc.

+1
I sent my shipping cost payment a while ago to establish a position in the delivery queue, I was somewhere just above one hundred now it seems I may be further back.
02-04-2015, 06:13 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2015 06:17 PM by Lizz.)
+1 for me too
It's difficult to accept that yokes are delivered to full prize orders first while we backers are left in the dark.
It's already two weeks of radio silence on the forum and the blog, I feel like we were told to shut up and just wait, door closed!!! Let me state again that I really look forward to this Yoke but I really get upset of getting no news for 2 weeks and then reading that yokes are delivered to full prized order.
Please, please, please IRIS...communicate!!!!!!!!

But Zman thanks for posting your findings here, at least it gives me some hope.
02-04-2015, 07:15 PM
(02-04-2015 06:13 PM)Lizz Wrote:  +1 for me too
It's difficult to accept that yokes are delivered to full prize orders first while we backers are left in the dark.
It's already two weeks of radio silence on the forum and the blog, I feel like we were told to shut up and just wait, door closed!!! Let me state again that I really look forward to this Yoke but I really get upset of getting no news for 2 weeks and then reading that yokes are delivered to full prized order.
Please, please, please IRIS...communicate!!!!!!!!

But Zman thanks for posting your findings here, at least it gives me some hope.

I agree with all of that Lizz.
02-04-2015, 09:20 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2015 09:21 PM by GordonH.)
(02-04-2015 11:34 AM)zman Wrote:  My yoke arrived on Friday, full price not a Kickstarter. New packaging did the job, and now that the handle is detached looks easier to safely ship. Connecting the handle was a bit of a pain but nothing major, it was up and running in 10 minutes after it was unpacked.

I will not go in to details of handle finish detail or fan noise. What you see posted on youtube regarding new assembly is what I got. Having said that, the overall impression is sturdy and solid. Key instructions on how to adjust various aspects of the yoke and FF strength are there, but don't expect 50 page manual.

I use FSX and have just started using XPlane. In FSX NGX is the plane of choice, and in XPlane default planes such as Baron and KAir. Basic feedback is great, but using specific software such as FS Force and XPForce is another story.

My first impression is how real it feels. As a RWP flying the sim lack of any feel was my biggest challenge, and the yoke feedback is almost on par with what I feel in the real plane, very very cool. You feel not just the force needed for control input, but also subtle changes created by flaps and lending gear affecting air flow.

The ability to adjust the strength of yoke F-feedback makes a big difference, as you move from Cessna to 737 and for the first time when the plane enters flare, I can feel what the plane is doing and control the effects of crosswind. Stick shaker was a trip, as this was never there except the sound.

I do have to give credit to Pat, he was on top of all my questions and responded in timely fashion given the craziness of their current situation.

Zoran

Glad your having a positive experience with the yoke zman. Are you using FSForce with FSX, I plan to use FSForce with Prepar3Dv2 and was wondering how it performs with the Iris?

cheers

p.s. I'm not to happy with the apparent queue jumping either - but I doubt that this is zmans' fault. Would be nice to hear from Pat whats going on with the construction/delivery scheduling!?
02-05-2015, 02:22 AM
First, let me say thank you to all Kickstarters. Without you, there would be no yoke.

l understand your frustration, but would ask that my post is used as product feedback. Iris should, I can assume will address the issue, and I would wait for their update before jumping to any conclusions.

As for FSX and FSForce, this software makes a difference, compared to what the sim provides by default.
02-05-2015, 06:53 AM
(02-05-2015 02:22 AM)zman Wrote:  First, let me say thank you to all Kickstarters. Without you, there would be no yoke.

l understand your frustration, but would ask that my post is used as product feedback. Iris should, I can assume will address the issue, and I would wait for their update before jumping to any conclusions.

As for FSX and FSForce, this software makes a difference, compared to what the sim provides by default.
No reflection on you zman please don't stop giving us feedback. Just that there are a number of frustrated backers who can't wait to get their hands on the yoke. Sorry just speaking for myself. I still believe that Pat is doing his best to satisfy everyone which is an impossible task and not knowing what is going on has been the hardest thing for me to accept. As I've said before, I'm happy to wait for as long as it takes and whilst I hear positive reports from people like you it makes the wait more bearable, at least I know things are still moving forward.
02-05-2015, 12:35 PM
According to their FAQ, new sales are getting put to the front of the line and Kickstarters get pushed farther back in order to "manage our costs". I was not a kickstarter but a pre-order. Not sure where I am in line but I imagine I am even farther behind the kickstarters. According to Kickstarter there were close to 100 backers that were promised "first production batch yokes" and to not deliver on that seems fraudulent.
02-05-2015, 04:20 PM
(02-05-2015 12:35 PM)jtesta01 Wrote:  According to their FAQ, new sales are getting put to the front of the line and Kickstarters get pushed farther back in order to "manage our costs". I was not a kickstarter but a pre-order. Not sure where I am in line but I imagine I am even farther behind the kickstarters. According to Kickstarter there were close to 100 backers that were promised "first production batch yokes" and to not deliver on that seems fraudulent.
Interesting to see the FAQ item, I wonder when that comment was posted. Frankly I'd given up looking at items on the homepage apart from the forums, as nothing seemed to change, so to see that, was a surprise. Oddly though if you go to the order page and make the necessary selections it says "out of stock" so where are the new full price orders coming from? That doesn't mean to say I'm not totally unhappy about the wait as it will be good to get the higher standard product for what is a bargain price to a backer, well worth taking the initial chance.