Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updates-Jan 2015
01-22-2015, 12:33 PM
Updates-Jan 2015
Hey all,

So I've been given the green light to go ahead and post this:

So although much of this has already been mentioned in previous threads I thought it prudent to re-post it here so people don't need to dig through 10 pages of old posts.

Units:
-We ARE back in production
-Handles are undergoing substantially more finishing work, and as a result look much much better
-Units are shipping with their handles removed (and with extra packing)
-Major changes to QA/QC have been put in place
-Improvements to the roll axis have been made on the hardware side (more advanced motors).

Company:
-Our main priority is getting current orders out the door asap, this means among other things that all admin duties related to current orders are alas being handled by one guy... ME!! however I'm also having to wrangle everyone/everything else involved with the build process, so please please please be patient. Chad and Amy's emails are going to get forwarded to a primary account but there's a massive backlog which represents several weeks of someones time to go through.

-Moving forward the company is going to be getting out of the manufacturing business, ultimately this means until a manufacturing deal is reached (and that's going to be several months off) no new orders are going to be taken. Iris WILL however be building all current orders in house, just no new ones.

-Outside of getting the existing orders satisfied we are going to be concentrating on new product development, IE stick with what we are good at. The ah ha moment for this was when we had a software developer monitoring a polishing machine when there was code needing to be written.

If anyone has any questions/comments/concerns please feel free to ask!

-Pat
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-22-2015, 12:58 PM
RE: Updates-Jan 2015
Hello Pat, Thanks for the update.

Can you give us more details about the new advanced motors, why the change and how is improved now ?

Thanks

Evan.
01-22-2015, 01:27 PM
Pat
Thanks for the update. If we order the aluminum handle, would that speed up the shipment date for our unit?
If so, by approximately how much? Do the yokes with the aluminum handles work as well as those with the resin ones? Is there any advantage or disadvantage (other than cost of course) to using the aluminum handle?

Terry
01-22-2015, 03:32 PM
Pat,

Thank you for the update. The news is a bit of a shock in some ways but the sense that all was not well at Iris has been present for some time. I am not personally reassured by the news unfortunately - I think a change of personnel as senior as Chad (CEO and founder was he not?) along with Iris announcing they are no longer going to manufacture products in house represents a major question mark for those who are expecting yokes. In essence your product is going to be a limited run batch - if Iris goes under and/or is totally pulling out of manufacturing your customers could end up with no support, technical or otherwise, for the products. This concerns me greatly.

As customers we have already experienced major communication issues relating to this product - I see Bart on his forum post is still waiting on an RMA after 5 days for example! I mean seriously?!

Pat, you are taking everything on which is admirable but let's be realistic - all this is telling us is that things are in disarray and you are going to meet obligations relating to manufacturing outstanding orders. I would not be surprised, as sad as it would be, to see a further update saying that Iris can no longer meet these obligations. That is reason enough I'm afraid for me to pull out. I'm sorry guys but the whole thing looks like a failed experiment and whilst I was truly excited by the prospect offered by the Iris yoke, I simply cannot risk over $1,000 on a prototype/limited run product.

I will leave others to draw their own conclusions.

I do wish you the best and will email you separately to confirm my refund for the yoke and for the shipping.

James
01-22-2015, 06:54 PM
Have read the Update and to be honest I do not understand why this would bring a smile on my face....... I'm still in the dark.......
I have to agree with James here and I'm feeling more and more uncomfortable with the whole project. Being one of the backers I invested around 800 CD into this project as I really believed in the product, the design concept and the guys behind it.
Reading that one of the founders is leaving the company at this moment does not add to feel more comfortable and raises all kind of questions and doubts. Even if I get the Yoke (sometime.....) will it be supported and by whom? Will the Yoke be further developed and who will send us the updates, Will the software be developed further to support it?
At his moment I'm really starting to consider my investment as being 'lost' and consider to change to a more mature and conventional product in the market.
01-22-2015, 11:00 PM (This post was last modified: 01-22-2015 11:14 PM by GordonH.)
To be honest this update has left me even more conflicted!!

Pros:

I still REALLY want the control loading yoke

Default resin yoke handles have apparently been much improved (another $500 for PFC handle was too much for me)

Improved packaging for shipping

Cons:

Very disconcerting to hear of key people at Iris leaving

Worrying about lack of medium/long term support for such an expensive investment if Iris closes its doors, I don't expect Pat to be able to carry this venture and all future yoke support forward on his own (no insult intended Pat - just seems like it would be too much for one guy), quite a risk for us backers if say a PSU or other component fails after a few months and we cant get a repair/replacement.

Concerned about the production/machining quality as we still haven't seen pics of the "new and improved" units. Would be nice to see a video at least a few minutes long of an improved yoke working in a sim (FSX or P3D) to show all the functions
01-23-2015, 12:18 AM
Can you provide us any guarantee of continued long term product support for the Iris yoke?
01-23-2015, 01:20 PM
(01-22-2015 12:33 PM)Pat Wrote:  Hey all,

So I've been given the green light to go ahead and post ...........

Pat,

I'm just curious . Why do you need permission and from whom do you need permission for this post? Does Iris have new investors with a controlling interest?

Before being asked to be patient and to have confidence in Iris delivering its obligation of a Yoke to customers I expect a full disclosure, something which clearly hasn't been the case to date.
01-23-2015, 04:58 PM
Guys, a quick heads up on my situation - I requested a refund 25 hours ago, by email, and have not received a reply yet. Some might say I haven't waited very long but having made the decision I expected a pretty quick turnaround - I don't believe, for example, that since posting the update, Pat hasn't returned to this forum post to read the comments - not for as critical an update as this. And therefore I don't believe my email title "Order Cancellation and Refund" has not been seen in the full working day that has passed (Thursday CA time). I am very nervous right now.

I know we have been asked to remain patient and that there are email backlogs for example, but there are now critical updates needed by both me and others posting questions/concerns here, which should take priority over anything else right now. I will report back if and when I hear from Pat about this.

James
01-23-2015, 10:37 PM (This post was last modified: 01-23-2015 10:47 PM by John Heaton.)
FAO JamesHongKong. I hope this reassures you.

I've been avoiding posting openly in the forum as I didn't want to add to the increasing number of complaints , possibly prejudicing Iris's attempts to find a way through this mess. Instead, I've been emailing Chad and more recently Pat and had fairly quick responses. Finally on the 16th Jan, I decided to cancel my order and received a full refund via Paypal on the 19th. In my mind, a very sad day.

I originally ordered at the $800CD level with expedited shipping (once released) to the UK last July, a total of just over $1000 CD. Like a lot of us I suspect, I've recently had misgivings that the product would only be viable if it was 'solid' and small parts only needing returned to Iris in the event of problems with the hardware. I was fully expecting firmware and software to be developed from a very early release version and improve over time. I was not naïve enough to expect perfection!

The increasing worry that return shipping would be required at least once in the lifetime of the yoke, together with my growing doubts regarding Iris's ability to support the device if sales proved good, convinced me to bail out.

My decision to cancel may well be proved wrong and customers will ultimately receive the yoke of their dreams. In his refund email, Pat said: "Please still do follow the project, we have some pretty cool news coming down the pipeline!". Having seen the announcement since cancellation, I still wonder what that is.

Good luck everyone.

John Heaton