Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yoke Problem
01-12-2015, 02:13 AM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2015 02:39 AM by Bart.)
Yoke Problem
I am one of the Kickstarter backers. Received the yoke S/N 10 right before Christmas. Unfortunately, it has many broken pieces and the quality of fit and finish as well as assembly (see photos) is really bad (outside of the yoke which has been discussed here). My understanding, by reading the Kickstarter page, is that we were supposed to receive production parts, not early prototypes that look like were assembled with lack of care and attention to detail.

I have written couple of e-mails to the Iris team where I explained everything. As of over a week later I have gotten no reply. Consequently, I hope that my concerns are addressed here. Frankly, I would love to just return the whole thing for a refund (anyone that wants it PM me) as I am disappointed in what I recieved.

The issues:

1. Bunch of broken and mis-fabricated pieces. See photos. I don't think it is all shipping related. Seems some were already broken or defectively manufactured from begining.

2. Mis-drilled holes for assembly. See photos. Screws holes drilled at angle splitting the back plate. Silicon smeared to hold the coil in place.

3. Poor assembly quality. Stripped holes, the bottom piece looks like it was not made properly (broken from the router). Scrap piece of tape to protect the PCB from bottom against shorts?

4. The fan, IMHO, is not placed properly. Where is the inlet/outlet for the air? No wonder the noise.

5. Label on bottom of yoke scratched, mis-printed and printed on plain paper vs label material. Everything combined with the ultra-short power cords say to me, this this was rushed out the door with lack of care for assembly.

Design improvements that were not already discussed: why is the housing made of steel vs aluminum stock? Why no opening for the fan inlet/outlet in the housing?

While the performance is actually really nice, I cannot live with something that was slapped together and shipped to me.

Additional photos        

additional images

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2015, 07:37 AM
RE: Yoke Problem
I think your yoke is been damaged while being shipped, and another problem is that Iris are trying to do everything in house, while they might not have the proper tools yet to do everything perfectly, they have to look for alternatives.

This is very disappointing. I wish you get your yoke replaced soon with much better unit.

Evan.
01-12-2015, 10:44 AM
(01-12-2015 07:37 AM)evanbanalian Wrote:  I think your yoke is been damaged while being shipped, and another problem is that Iris are trying to do everything in house, while they might not have the proper tools yet to do everything perfectly, they have to look for alternatives.

This is very disappointing. I wish you get your yoke replaced soon with much better unit.

Evan.

There may be some damage that was due to shipping (although box was in a pretty good shape) but some parts look like they are not right from the factory (see the white base piece which has clearly a part that was not machined correctly). Also, when the screws were drilled into the back plate, they were drilled at an angle splitting the black back plate.
01-13-2015, 01:38 PM
Yikes. I'm yo-yoing between cancelling my order and being ok with the updates that are starting to come through - posts like yours Bart make me worry again.

The build quality definitely needs to be addressed if that was not done during shipping and if it was due to shipping then that needs to be addressed as a priority too. Let's see what the guys say about your yoke - watching with interest...

James
01-17-2015, 12:37 AM
Bart..
Iris needs to address this immediately on this forum with a thorough explanation. This is not merely "damaged in shipment". Very disappointing. Unacceptable.
RMM
01-17-2015, 10:52 AM (This post was last modified: 01-17-2015 05:59 PM by Pat.)
Hey Bart,

I'm sorry if we missed your email earlier, I just found it and will get a response back to you tonight. In addition we are obviously going to RMA your unit. That being said let me try and hit each of these issues as best I can:

For the first batch of units that went out QA/QC was "spotty". This HAS been remedied and I am personally giving a green sticker to everything that gets boxed. I think anyone who has been following this project can tell that our manufacturing prowess has been a bit "lacking". What I can say to that is we're redlining our engines to get these issues identified and eliminated.

As for the silicone on the coils, its actually being used as a combination thermal insulation (coils get hot and hot+HDPE is not ideal) and a vibration damper.

As for the Kapton tape... Ya I agree that's disgusting, the floor plate on that unit was improperly cut, there is no longer an open hole there, and if there was an open hole, a rectangular piece of tape applied in a square fashion is what should have been done.

As for the fan, along the bottom and side edges of the front of the case you should see air intake holes, the front plate has an air plenum cut into it to allow airflow into the fan chamber where it is then pumped into the coil chamber... We experimented with LOTS of fan configs, some on the front, back, top bottom etc. This location made the most sense given the choice of casing.

As for the casing, we went with 3/16" steel and not aluminum for two reasons, 1) we didn't want to use clamps, it was thought that clamps are ugly and a PITA, so we needed something heavy.
2) we needed a ferrous material to help contain the dynamic magnetic fields generated from the coil pack. IE steel... And thick steel at that.

Scratched label.... Im really not sure what to say about that, I really hate to say it but I think that is probably the worst unit I've seen! so once again PLEASE let us take it back and replace it!

For everyone who has ordered please be patient we are trying our damnedest to get these issues sorted. And to anyone who has already received a unit and has issues with it please contact support, we sincerely want EVERYONE to have zero regrets to supporting this project.
01-22-2015, 10:16 AM (This post was last modified: 01-22-2015 10:23 AM by Bart.)
Pat,

While I appreciate the reply, action speaks more than words and as of today (five days after you would contact me for RMA), I have not gotten any response from Iris.
03-02-2015, 07:53 AM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2015 07:59 AM by Bart.)
Hello All:

I owe to Pat and the IRIS team to provide an update of my situation. Again, to refresh everyone's memory, I am one of the early Kickstarter backers that was less-than-pleased with the initial yoke received in December 2014.

After some back and forth with Pat, I received the replacement yoke couple of weeks ago. I finally had some time to give it a proper evaluation.

To sum up, the replacement is VASTLY improved over what I received in December and I am now very pleased. While the casting on the Yoke is still NOT perfect, the fit and finish is what I reasonably expected for early production parts that we paid a discounted price for.

Shipping/assembly: GREAT job and much improvement from initial shipment. Removing the yoke handle prior to shipment was a smart idea, the box was upgraded, there was more packaging, product arrived in perfect shape, the product label was done properly. The yoke attachment to body is not really complicated; you can follow along the youtube video.

The performance/feel - I think it is outstanding. I fly a medium-weight GA in real-life (Socata Trinidad) and I think the IRIS yoke matches the control loading forces of the real plane spot-on. The ailerons are pretty heavy, just like on my plane, and the pitch has a pretty decent amount of resistance as well. Very, very realistic. Well done IRIS engineers!

I have flown with the yoke in FSX and Prepar3D 2.5 for a combination of perhaps 4-5 hours now with no issues. Well, almost. When I installed the yoke on my Volair Sim cockpit, the yoke would not wake up. I had to go through detailed, although not complicated (just tedious) re-calibration process involving download of the Arduino software. Since that, no issues.

Roll-response. While the electromagnetic resistance in pitch is very smooth, the roll resistance is caused by a motor with gearing. I experienced slight cogging but again this is not something that is really bothersome. I wonder whether a different gearing topology (helical) could solve this perhaps.

The noise - again in terms of dB(A) the yoke may not measure loud but the frequency range and the fact the pitch is changing makes the noise definitely noticeable and it cuts pretty well through the engine noise. I am OK with it, just crank the airplane engine sound way up to mask it a bit.

Other feedback (no pun intended): the yoke is theoretically pre-drilled to work out-of-the-box with the Volair Sim cockpit (Saitek bolt pattern) but only 2 out of 4 screw holes were aligning properly. Enough to hold it down but I wish all 4 holes were drilled properly. IMHO, you MUST secure the yoke to the table (despite its heft) as you will be using some muscle during flare, etc. So it is important to have it anchored to the table somehow. The replacement yoke arrived with the same rather useless 1m power cord while the UBS cord was at least 2-3m. Hmm.

To sum up, while the initial yoke I received had numerous fit/finish issues, the replacement made the wait and even the initial aggravation worthwhile. Assuming few further tweaks will be made and the calibration issue could be resolved/simplified, IRIS has a really good design and product (of course the pricing escalation is an another issue).

Thank you again Pat and good luck with this! Well done.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

03-02-2015, 10:34 AM
Really glad to hear that your issues got sorted out, Bart. Your posting in here is appreciated by those of us still awaiting delivery. Being a P3dv2 user myself, it is nice to hear some feedback on the yokes performance in the sim. One more thing, I gotta say that, that is an awesome sim setup you have there.

Cheers, Craig