Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roll centering problem when changing pitch ( as well as first immersions )
01-01-2015, 12:08 AM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2015 02:56 AM by iTris666.)
Roll centering problem when changing pitch ( as well as first immersions )
Hi,

I'm one of the first backer and have just received my yoke in Paris, France.

To star a few first impressions most of which are common to others :
The good :
- The unit is heavy and stands on a desk without problem.
- The hat is great it is analogic ( but also registers buttons for the four extreme positions ).

The bad :
- It is delivered with what I guess, is a canadian power cable ( american with round european ground ), unusable in europe. But you doesn't already have a power cable somewhere ?
- It is extremely noisy ( think xbox 360 first edition ) and the noise change quite a bit when pitching.
- The yoke itself feels very light and have abysmal finish : but cosmetic set aside, it is definitely usable.
- My yoke was also not well sealed on the axis : it rolled independently from the axis ( at forces lesser than the generated feedback force). However the correct alley key quickly fixed the problem.
- It just doesn't work on my mac : it is correctly detected as a HID peripheral, but the axis and buttons enumeration is bogus, xplane detect no axis or buttons and "Joystick and Gamepad tester" lists 65 "Vendor defined usage 0x1" none of which have values changing when moving the yoke or pushing the buttons. I dodged the problem by installing xplane on my windows partition.

I however have a problem with the yoke that make it very hard to use and that I don't know how to fix :

When I pitch down the yoke rolls to the left , and if I pitch up the yoke rolls to the right, up to something like 80° at the end of the course so it is not a small error.

Another ways of saying it is that the roll centering varies with the pitch.

This can be seen by pushing the yoke with one finger, it will roll automatically.
The same behavior can be seen while trimming : starting with the yoke centered on both axis, if I trim down or up the yoke will rotate a lot.
In XPlane, if I pitch down while maintaining the yoke steady, no only will I have to counter increasing roll forces but the simulator will register a strong roll in the opposite direction.

So I guess that whatever device measures the roll doesn't work and is influenced by pitch while it shouldn't.

I'm are right in assuming that my unit is defective ? Is there something like a deep calibration to remedy the problem ? Am I the only one having this issue ?

Edit : I ment first impressions. The unit has not been submerged in any liquid as of yet :-).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2015, 08:46 AM
RE: Roll centering problem when changing pitch ( as well as first immersions )
Hello,

I am sorry hear you have this problem, regardless if it's defective or not, where is quality control stands. We all want this project to be more successful because we've been part of it, but so far it dose not look very promising.

Thanks

Evan.
01-01-2015, 09:00 AM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2015 09:01 AM by hadoken.)
(01-01-2015 08:46 AM)evanbanalian Wrote:  Hello,

I am sorry hear you have this problem, regardless if it's defective or not, where is quality control stands. We all want this project to be more successful because we've been part of it, but so far it dose not look very promising.

Thanks

Evan.

I agree. I have not received my order as of yet, but I'm glad they have discontinued shipping more product as of this writing (based on their last official update). It's just my opinion, but I hope the company just delays sending anything else out until they get better quality control, and fix all the reported issues that have appeared on these forums over the holidays.

First impressions are very long lasting.
01-01-2015, 11:05 PM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2015 12:09 AM by GordonH.)
Looking at the pictures provided in the "Unholy disaster" thread and the comments in both threads regarding yoke problems and the noise, I am very VERY close to requesting a refund for my pre-order.

My original plan was to buy a Precision Flight Controls (Saab style) yoke with the hall effect sensors upgrade, then I became aware of the Iris yoke so decided to go for that as it included control loading for pretty much the same money as the "standard" flypfc yoke - but given the poor quality we've seen so far from the units received by backers and the fan noise issues I think it will be back to Plan A.

I appreciate that Iris have tried to be innovative and push this technology for us flight simmers, but the short-comings of the yoke (quality and noise) for the pre-order price, and to that the $500 cost for the metal yoke handle over the (horrible) resin one just aren't justifiable for my flight simming hobby unfortunately.

Maybe after a few months or years Iris will have perfected their manufacturing processes and found other solutions for cooling, and I'll re-evaluate purchasing one then.
01-01-2015, 11:38 PM
I'm hoping they didn't send my yoke out before the issues were found. There has been no shipping info yet. If it arrives next week I might have to return it un-opened and use the 30 day money back guarantee.

http://www.eadt.eu/
01-02-2015, 12:11 AM
Same here chksix, disappointed to be doing it but I'm going to email Iris and cancel my order for a full refund based on the quality of the yokes received by others.

Unfortunately....
01-02-2015, 03:00 AM
You guys are being unrealistic for a new innovative product. The only thing I have heard about that bothered me was the binding issue which they have solved. The rest is just cosmetics or future software fixable. If you have a $500 kickstarter unit, that is 25% of the retail price and you should not expect final commercial fit. I wish I could buy your positions
BTW check out the prices for good control loading units. They are considerably higher than even the current price of $2,000!
01-02-2015, 03:14 AM
(01-02-2015 03:00 AM)Terrydew Wrote:  You guys are being unrealistic for a new innovative product. The only thing I have heard about that bothered me was the binding issue which they have solved. The rest is just cosmetics or future software fixable. If you have a $500 kickstarter unit, that is 25% of the retail price and you should not expect final commercial fit. I wish I could buy your positions
BTW check out the prices for good control loading units. They are considerably higher than even the current price of $2,000!
+1 ---- except that I have a Kickstarter unit in the system and still looking forward to delivery. Let's have some more positive observations.
01-02-2015, 06:15 AM
I ordered at full price so I have a lot more to lose.

http://www.eadt.eu/
01-02-2015, 08:21 AM
(01-02-2015 06:15 AM)chksix Wrote:  I ordered at full price so I have a lot more to lose.
I totally understand that too, and in the same position would also expect a product of merchantable quality.