Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yoke mounting details
10-09-2014, 08:24 AM
Yoke mounting details
I want to start making preparations to mount the yoke to my Obutto R3volution cockpit. Do you have final product weight, dimensions and mounting hole sizes and locations?

Also, I think the steel of the r3volution is ferrous. Are there any electromagentic mounting considerations for this?

Also, can you confirm the power supply input is 120V/240V 60Hz 250W? What about power cord length?

As you can see my goal is to have everything ready to begin playing as soon as I get it Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2014, 10:16 AM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2014 10:48 AM by Chad.)
RE: Yoke mounting details
Hey Jharvell!

Looks like that's going to be a pretty killer setup!

I JUST finished putting this document together (so although the numbers are solid in it, the final version which will eventually make it onto the webpage may have some text changes.)
But the attached doc gives final dimensions and weights.

For mounting holes we have pre drilled and tapped four (4) M4 holes on the bottom which coincide with the standard saitek mounting pattern. I have also attached a PDF showing mounting locations. That being said the unit is designed such that you shouldn't need to use the mounting holes or clamps (the unit weighs ~27lbs).

As for magnetic interactions, we have made the unit out of a very heavy duty ferrous case in order to ensure the dynamic magnetic fields are fully contained. The only issues that people should expect to deal with are to keep magnetic, or magnetic sensitive materials away from the main shaft when in use. The shaft is filled with numerous VERY strong (N52) magnets and things like keys, cellphones etc can easily become stuck to the shaft. Also if you ever end up doing any metal work around the device be sure to protect it from steel shavings as these would adhere to the shaft and if left uncleaned WILL destroy the bearings.

The power cords are standard 3' C13/C14 connector (normal computer plug).

Hope that helps!

-Pat

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Mounting.pdf (Size: 4.75 KB / Downloads: 46)
.pdf  Pamphlet_Published_V1.0.pdf (Size: 1.3 MB / Downloads: 36)
10-11-2014, 05:21 AM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2014 10:49 AM by Chad.)
(10-09-2014 10:16 AM)Pat Wrote:  Hey Jharvell!

Looks like that's going to be a pretty killer setup!

I JUST finished putting this document together (so although the numbers are solid in it, the final version which will eventually make it onto the webpage may have some text changes.)
But the attached doc gives final dimensions and weights.

For mounting holes we have pre drilled and tapped four (4) M4 holes on the bottom which coincide with the standard saitek mounting pattern. I have also attached a PDF showing mounting locations. That being said the unit is designed such that you shouldn't need to use the mounting holes or clamps (the unit weighs ~27lbs).

As for magnetic interactions, we have made the unit out of a very heavy duty ferrous case in order to ensure the dynamic magnetic fields are fully contained. The only issues that people should expect to deal with are to keep magnetic, or magnetic sensitive materials away from the main shaft when in use. The shaft is filled with numerous VERY strong (N52) magnets and things like keys, cellphones etc can easily become stuck to the shaft. Also if you ever end up doing any metal work around the device be sure to protect it from steel shavings as these would adhere to the shaft and if left uncleaned WILL destroy the bearings.

The power cords are standard 3' C13/C14 connector (normal computer plug).

Hope that helps!

-Pat

Hello Pat,

Could you please provide details about all the connections that are at the rear of the yoke?
A while back I read that there may be a high-powered USB port for iPad's etc. and an
ethernet port for connecting the yoke to a computer.
10-15-2014, 10:08 AM
Hey Speedbird,

I'll field this since Pat's been very busy getting our production line and documentation in order. He's working closely with our new engineer (joined us today) to see if we can't speed up our production beyond 5 units a day.

The units we're building now will not contain a USB port for charging iPads. If someone wanted to add a usb port for charging to the handle, the circuit board does contain a fused power line to accommodate that. As well, future (exchangeable) handles will very likely have this feature.

We chose to only support USB plug and play for this version of our yoke. Development times were the biggest concerns. USB has a widely utilized standard for Physical Input Devices and to decrease our time to ship, we decided to support just that for the time being. This interface will worth with all major flight simulators and any associated force-feedback plugins.

Future models of the Iris Yoke will support TCP/IP as well as ever-increasingly used CAN bus. We set these projects aside in favor of honing our mechanical and electrical design. It's also worth mentioning that we are looking at developing a USB-to-CAN-or-TCP/IP box that would provide generation 1 yoke customers with these interfaces. This might also be used for connecting pedals, throttle quadrants, etc to one interface to your computer.

Hope this sheds some light on your question!

-Kyle