Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Update?
09-18-2014, 04:38 AM
Update?
Hi Guys, it's rather quite lately, any update on first deliveries?

Regards,
Lizz
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-19-2014, 05:11 AM
RE: Update?
(09-18-2014 04:38 AM)Lizz Wrote:  Hi Guys, it's rather quite lately, any update on first deliveries?

Regards,
Lizz

Asked a similar question about a week ago and haven't gotten any response yet. Confused
09-22-2014, 10:13 AM
It has been a month since the last official kickstarter update, and I've posted a couple times in the forums with no response. This is incredibly frustrating, especially considering this comment on the kickstarter comment page:

Quote:I understand that our communication is currently not good enough and I would like to personally commit to doing much better starting immediately.
-Chad

What is going on?
09-23-2014, 07:58 AM
Hey folks,

Sorry about the lack of communications. We've been going full steam here trying to make sure our (your) production run goes as smoothly as possible.

Ill give you a brief update on some of the technical aspects of your yoke...

Here's where we're at:
Ive got on my desk right now our production unit. The y-axis (forward and backward) is functioning very well. It feels smooth, and in all our testing has performed reliably. We've recently adjusted the design of the actuator to provide a bit more force and to cool faster after hard use. (Hard use would could be defined as holding the device at one position while it pushes against you). We're really proud of how this has come along and are excited to hear your feedback when our units start making it to you Smile. I dont want to put my foot in my mouth here, but the feeling has been described as "buttery" by more than just myself.. There are 7.5 inches of throw to get you slipping those surely bonds with precision.
The x-axis (left-right) is also working nicely. There are 200 degrees of rotation between stops.

We've added a couple more buttons recently and a fully analog hat switch.
Here's a quick rundown of how your handle will function:
You have 4 buttons that will register on your PC as joystick buttons 1-4. These can be configured to do whatever you like on your sim.
You have a dual-trigger trim switch. It will only function when both switches are up or down. This will trim the centering force forward or backward. It will also output to Joystick buttons 5 and 6. Ill explain why further down.
Your analog hat switch (same as the ones found on a PSP) will output as a hat and as two analog sliders. This way you can either use the simple 8-way hat format, or configure your sim to make use of the analog outputs.

Your yoke can be controlled by these buttons. For example, you can put the device to sleep by pressing buttons 1+2 down and holding the trim switch down for 3 seconds.
You can turn the restoring forces up and down using another button combination, and also adjust the brightness of the Iris Dynamics logo. The logo is pretty cool and features a red-green-blue LED that will change color to inform you of different operating states.

Here's a run down on how the device will behave.
Plug it in to USB and a wall socket and it will install its drivers.
After its startup, the yoke will fall into a deep sleep. Move it to its forward, backward, left and right deadstops and it will wake up and snap to the middle position. When left idle for 1 minute, the yoke falls asleep but will wake up as soon as any movement is detected.
By default, the yoke will self-center by emulating a spring force and a damping force (that prevents oscillations when you release suddenly). You can trim the center position on the y-axis with the trim switches, even when no sim is running.
These forces will be used any time there are no programs sending force feedback data to the yoke. As soon as a sim (or a plugin) sends data to the yoke, those forces will be used instead. In this case, you will want to assign the buttons 5 and 6 (trim up and down) to your plugin or sim.
When you adjust the force feedback strength with the handle, you will only be adjusting the default forces. Externally applied forces can be adjusted by the plugin or sim.

We want these things shipping to you. We're here 7 days a week trying to make that happen. But like any good company will tell you, we want these things to reach you in an A1 operating state.
We're close and going hard.

If anyone has any more specific questions, please feel free to ask. Ill keep my eye on these forums Wink

All the best, fellow Simers and valued customers.

-Kyle
-IRIS Development team
09-23-2014, 05:14 PM
Hi Kyle,

Thanks for the extensive update, can't wait to test the Yoke in my sim.

Regards,
Lizz

(09-23-2014 07:58 AM)Kyle Wrote:  Hey folks,

Sorry about the lack of communications. We've been going full steam here trying to make sure our (your) production run goes as smoothly as possible.

Ill give you a brief update on some of the technical aspects of your yoke...

Here's where we're at:
Ive got on my desk right now our production unit. The y-axis (forward and backward) is functioning very well. It feels smooth, and in all our testing has performed reliably. We've recently adjusted the design of the actuator to provide a bit more force and to cool faster after hard use. (Hard use would could be defined as holding the device at one position while it pushes against you). We're really proud of how this has come along and are excited to hear your feedback when our units start making it to you Smile. I dont want to put my foot in my mouth here, but the feeling has been described as "buttery" by more than just myself.. There are 7.5 inches of throw to get you slipping those surely bonds with precision.
The x-axis (left-right) is also working nicely. There are 200 degrees of rotation between stops.

We've added a couple more buttons recently and a fully analog hat switch.
Here's a quick rundown of how your handle will function:
You have 4 buttons that will register on your PC as joystick buttons 1-4. These can be configured to do whatever you like on your sim.
You have a dual-trigger trim switch. It will only function when both switches are up or down. This will trim the centering force forward or backward. It will also output to Joystick buttons 5 and 6. Ill explain why further down.
Your analog hat switch (same as the ones found on a PSP) will output as a hat and as two analog sliders. This way you can either use the simple 8-way hat format, or configure your sim to make use of the analog outputs.

Your yoke can be controlled by these buttons. For example, you can put the device to sleep by pressing buttons 1+2 down and holding the trim switch down for 3 seconds.
You can turn the restoring forces up and down using another button combination, and also adjust the brightness of the Iris Dynamics logo. The logo is pretty cool and features a red-green-blue LED that will change color to inform you of different operating states.

Here's a run down on how the device will behave.
Plug it in to USB and a wall socket and it will install its drivers.
After its startup, the yoke will fall into a deep sleep. Move it to its forward, backward, left and right deadstops and it will wake up and snap to the middle position. When left idle for 1 minute, the yoke falls asleep but will wake up as soon as any movement is detected.
By default, the yoke will self-center by emulating a spring force and a damping force (that prevents oscillations when you release suddenly). You can trim the center position on the y-axis with the trim switches, even when no sim is running.
These forces will be used any time there are no programs sending force feedback data to the yoke. As soon as a sim (or a plugin) sends data to the yoke, those forces will be used instead. In this case, you will want to assign the buttons 5 and 6 (trim up and down) to your plugin or sim.
When you adjust the force feedback strength with the handle, you will only be adjusting the default forces. Externally applied forces can be adjusted by the plugin or sim.

We want these things shipping to you. We're here 7 days a week trying to make that happen. But like any good company will tell you, we want these things to reach you in an A1 operating state.
We're close and going hard.

If anyone has any more specific questions, please feel free to ask. Ill keep my eye on these forums Wink

All the best, fellow Simers and valued customers.

-Kyle
-IRIS Development team
09-24-2014, 03:33 AM
Kyle,

Thanks for the update. I can't speak for anyone else obviously, but it isn't the delay that bothers me. I would much rather have a late, but high quality product. I'm more frustrated by the lack up updates. Even just a weekly this is where we're at email would be great.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting the yoke.

-Reece
09-24-2014, 06:26 AM
Thanks for the feedback, Reece and Lizz.

That's a great idea and we're right there with you. In fact, a new member has just joined us this week. Amy is our new office administrator and has taken up the task of holding us to better external communication. I believe weekly updates are coming from her and should appear at the following locations:
https://www.facebook.com/IrisDynamicsLtd
https://twitter.com/IrisDynamics
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iri...ntrol-yoke
http://irisdynamics.com/blog/

As well, now that my head is mostly out of the code and back to reality, Ill be trolling these forums more frequently - promise. Any technical questions or feature requests can be brought up and Ill do my best to get back promptly.
09-24-2014, 06:37 AM (This post was last modified: 09-24-2014 07:05 AM by John Heaton.)
Edit: Kyle, you beat me to it! Good to know your taking this aspect of running a business seriously. I'm still going to leave my post below because it's how I see it!
Good luck Amy!

Kyle and Chad,

I agree with the previous comments and my concerns are reduced by this latest update. I'd started to think that sending a large payment some time ago had been a mistake. I worry that, if you find it difficult to make good promises of frequent updates, (which flippantly, 'could be created in 5 minutes before bed if necessary'!), then when your under pressure from future support issues and company growth, you will struggle to maintain good relationships with your buyers.

Is this the sign of things to come?

Your customers are showing appropriate good will and patience, probably because we are mostly either professionals in flight training or old enough to understand that good things come to those who wait. Equally however, at the heart of any good business is a desire to nurture and care for past, present, or future customers. Maybe your next employee should be someone who's skills include social media and posting weekly updates on forums!

John

Now I have a question!

<<You have a dual-trigger trim switch. It will only function when both switches are up or down. This will trim the centering force forward or backward. It will also output to Joystick buttons 5 and 6. Ill explain why further down.>>

I don't understand the explanation, can you have another go please?

Regards,

John
09-24-2014, 10:16 AM
Heya John.

I'll have another go:

Let me illustrate by way of an example...

Sim A sends no force feedback data.
Sim B sends restoring forces based on airspeed, ground bumps, wind buffeting, bird strikes, stall warning stick shakers, etc.

When you load up Sim A and taxi to the runway, the default centering and damping forces are in effect (ie you pull the yoke back, it will resist you and return to center when you let go).
After taking off, leveling out and achieving cruise power and speed, you find you need to apply constant forward pressure on the yoke to keep the nose below the horizon and the VSI nailed to 0.
By trimming nose down on your yoke, the pressure you feel will decrease, disappear and then reverse (if you hold trim down too long). In this way you can trim out your aircraft without even sending trim data to the sim or affecting the trim settings in the sim environment. No set up is needed and in this case, you can safely leave the buttons 5 and 6 unassigned.

Now lets say you're running sim B and your yoke is bumping away during ground roll. The centering force of the air over your control surfaces increases as you speed up. Again, you hit your circuit altitude on the nose, throttle back to cruise and trim nose down to relieve the pressure. Nothing will happen since we only affect the default forces with the trim switch, and they are being ignored since another program has control of the yoke. For this reason, we output the button data through the joystick interface. You go into the sim's settings, and assign button 5 as trim down, and 6 as trim up. Now, pressing the trim switch will change the trim settings in the sim and the result will cause the sim's feedback effects change appropriately so the center moves as it did in Sim A.

Maybe not overly intuitive, but it was the simplest way I could imagine to implement the trim given the different possibilities. If it's still unclear I can give it another shot Smile
09-24-2014, 10:31 AM
I should add too, John, that everyone here takes this business extremely seriously. I know I don't just speak for myself when I say this is one of the biggest sources of pride and the most prominent part of my life since our Kickstarter. It launched us out of our living room tables and garages and into the world of offices, layers, deadlines and the ominous feelings that ever growing TODO lists can bring. Sometimes we're finding it's easy to get focused on the problems sitting on your desk and forget about the people that are paying your bills. Like everything we've learned so far (an enormous amount, let me tell ya), it's a lesson we will take to heart.

Getting these out the door to you is important. Becoming the go-to guys and girls for realism in the cockpit is equally important and you, our first customers, are a massive part in making that happen. We know if you like the product that you get, and receive prompt and effective troubleshooting when something happens, the rest will fall into place.

Everyone's patience and understanding is greatly appreciated. And you're correct in wanting better feedback and it's coming. Just like your yokes Smile Hopefully both live up to everyone's expectations.