Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Tested in simulator?
07-09-2014, 11:34 PM
Tested in simulator?
Hello,
Even though the yoke is supposed to be released this summer I have still not seen any text or pictures of the yoke being actually tested on a flight simulator. I am not sure if you are at this stage yet, but considering the short time frame until you start shipping I am surprised we have not yet heard anything related to this.

One thing is to make sure that all the electronics are working, but what about the touch and feel of the yoke? Does airplane behave as expected when using the yoke?

Could you please give us some feedback about this?

Best Regards,
Espen Torgersen
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-14-2014, 11:35 PM
RE: Tested in simulator?
+1 to this request.

I'm very eager to place my order for a Yoke but I can't bring myself to lay down that kind of money (plus shipping to the UK) until I've seen a customer spec finished unit in action with FSX/P3D
07-17-2014, 08:29 AM (This post was last modified: 07-21-2014 08:19 AM by Root_Admin.)
Hi Espen/GordonH,

We do apologies for the lack of pictures & video, the team has been in overdrive mode for the past month pushing to get to the July target. As such we are hoping to have pre production units done this week. We received the populated PCBs for these units last week, the mechanical team has "almost" finished all the tool paths for the internal components, and we just demolded our first pre production yoke handle.

As soon as one of these units are ready to roll we WILL be doing extensive videos. In the meantime here is a short teaser of clips I just put together http://youtu.be/TQ_zvY0Rd6k

Edit:
as for your other question Espen,

One thing to point out about this technology, all forces are generated in software. Without power applied to the device it has effectively no feel, with power the internal computers can then replicate any forces, vibrations, gusts, etc that are programed. This effectively means that any forces someone cares to program can be replicated (and more importantly shared.)
At the moment for development we are using a generic GA force model, which IMHO very closely reflects what one would expect to feel in a 172.

Edit #2:

RMM had suggested we put a bit more info up concerning the device shown in the above (internal) video.

The unit shown in the video is a test bench device used for evaluating coil geometry (and that's it, ie no data reading, and no roll feedback) when the unit was being used it was not utilising airspeed data, it was just operating in "centering mode". Because there was no handle trim functionality was obviously not being used.
We just did the first fire up of a pre production units internals yesterday (no yoke, no case). If all goes well we "should" have that unit in a case with a handle tonight/tomorrow. As soon as a fully assembled pre production unit is together you will be see many videos showing off its functionality, including amount other things steep turns and AP tracking.

For those of you who aren't following us on twitter some pics of yoke handles can be seen here: https://twitter.com/IrisDynamics

-pat
07-21-2014, 08:36 AM
Nice one Pat, looking forward to seeing the yoke in action.

Have you guys done any testing with Prepar3D v2 yet?

Thanks
07-21-2014, 09:00 AM
Thanks Pat..
Looking forward to seeing full functionality, followed by shipment of the first completed yokes. The units look great!
RMM
08-03-2014, 03:04 PM
On the off chance that someone here didn't see the Kickstarter update, I just posted a video of Unit #2!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhhuVkdpLto

As to your question Gordon:
Yes! P3Dv2 and FSX are both being developed/tested for. Stand alone mode works out of the box with no specialized configurations, more advanced functions such as AP tracking operates off of Microsoft's integrated force feedback protocols which means among other things it WILL be compatible with FS Force (Russel actually lives 130km/80miles away from our office).