Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yoke in xp11 beta 9
01-29-2017, 09:50 PM
Yoke in xp11 beta 9
Hellooo,
i wasn't able to calibrate the iris yoke via the xplane11 setup in the controlls tab ("calibrate iris dynamics yoke").

The Yoke is shown, but the axis doesnt work (just red lines are shown). This happens using xpforce or not, same result. Result is i cant use it at all.

The yoke is working in p3d and was working in xp10.

And ideas, tipps or workarounds?

Thanks & greetings from John
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-31-2017, 12:19 PM
RE: Yoke in xp11 beta 9
(01-29-2017 09:50 PM)raex Wrote:  Hellooo,
i wasn't able to calibrate the iris yoke via the xplane11 setup in the controlls tab ("calibrate iris dynamics yoke").

The Yoke is shown, but the axis doesnt work (just red lines are shown). This happens using xpforce or not, same result. Result is i cant use it at all.

The yoke is working in p3d and was working in xp10.

And ideas, tipps or workarounds?

Thanks & greetings from John
Make sure the yoke has not gone to sleep.
01-31-2017, 04:15 PM
Thanks for answering!

With the help from Laminar the thing now works. There was a conflict with another usb device (a usb arcaze interface. Strange world.
02-04-2017, 02:18 AM
I'm really hoping Iris Dynamics are looking at coding a software equivalent to the Brunner CLS2Sim software. Pretty much all that is missing from this remarkable product.
09-08-2017, 02:36 AM
Greetings,

We're at a bit of a crossroads here. We can't get the trim to behave correctly on XPlane 11. The centring point does not move when trim is applied, or in response to forces acting on control surfaces.

We've been using our Iris yoke with FSX using the FSForce plugin for some time, with great results.
The key features important to us when training cadets on this unit (and the reason we chose the Iris Dynamics Yoke) are because of the realistic feel when trimming the aircraft, and the realistic control feel during stalls, slow flight, takeoff-roll, landing, etc. In FSX these worked great.

We're trying out XPlane 11, which proves to be a much easier simulator to customize to our needs.

If the centre position does not properly adjust with trim commands, or if XPForce intercepts those commands, then it seems we've essentially got a really expensive spring yoke on our hands with some "resistance" and "stick shaking" built in, rather than a true force-feedback unit. If pressures on the control surfaces (like a trim tab impacts the downward or upward force on an elevator) does not move the yoke accordingly, like it did in FSX, then we're not getting the same level of realism we've become accustomed to.

If anyone knows how to sort this out, please let me know.
Cheers,
-Rob
09-21-2017, 06:19 AM
Hey,
maybe try using the yoke in standalone mode. That is maybe the only way to get the trim & centering point working. Look at this thread: https://forums.irisdynamics.com/showthread.php?tid=131

Its a shame: fs2force and a2a planes on the side of pd3 and xp11 is great in every other aspect...
09-22-2017, 10:48 AM
From the XPForce "changes" listing, IRIS support and some fixes were added in early 2015, but the last released version was in February 2016! In spite of numerous posts on the IRIS forum about XPForce, it doesn't seem as if there's any incentive for Iris support or the Missioneditor.com people to fix the yoke trim/centering problem. For one example, see https://forums.irisdynamics.com/showthread.php?tid=134.

So the overall forum consensus seems to be that the yoke should be run in standalone mode without XPForce to get the trim & centering point working. This is disappointing because in standalone (default) mode the yoke will not vary forces with airspeed or provide ground bumps/stall buffeting etc.
As you say, it's a shame: fantastic yoke hardware/engineering/feel but deficient X-Plane/IRIS plugin support.
10-14-2017, 05:11 AM
I've been continuing to some experiments with the XPForce plugin and my Iris DragongflyVR (IDL20004) yoke settings and have a suggestion which seems to have improved the trim centering response. Using the Arduino control panel, I tried various "Trim Time (end to end in seconds)" settings and get better trim/centering response with lower values - I am currently using 2 (sec). My yoke came with that set at 24 sec and the default is specified at 16 in the Iris user guide. Also, I think the trim/centering works better that way in X-plane 11 than in 10.
There’s no guarantee that trim_time setting would work for everyone's yoke setup. I retro-fitted my yoke with a cannibalized CH Eclipse handle which can use all the handle switches/buttons via its own USB cable. Thus I can’t use the Iris yoke in stand-alone mode at all, so the force-feedback inputs are generated by the XPForce plugin. The click-stop trim-wheels on the CH yoke allow for smaller incremental adjustments for pitch and roll than rocker switches and improve the electromagnetic feedback centering.