Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clear overview differences Dragonfly and Siilk version
01-03-2017, 05:03 AM
Wink Clear overview differences Dragonfly and Siilk version
Hello Iris,

Can you give me a place where the technical differences between the several forcefeedback yokes are given, compared to eachother ?

It could be, my question is based on a mistake. I did get the impression, at this moment there is more than one version of the actual force simulating elements.
I do understand there are versions with and without yoke or powersupply.
However, I see different names like Dragonfly and Siilk.
If there are more than one type of forcefeedback elements or is there only one type?

Thanks for clearing things up!
Bram Stikkel
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2017, 10:09 AM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2017 08:28 PM by Radar.)
RE: Clear overview differences Dragonfly and Siilk version
Hello Bram and welcome to the Iris Forums.

I would recommend visiting and browsing through the links contained on the Iris Dynamics website for a more thorough understanding.

Such as the likes of the webpages for Support, FAQ and Home, Technology https://vs3.irisdynamics.com/technology/

Particularly look at https://vs3.irisdynamics.com/siilk-technology/

However this may help give a better overview from the Iris Dynamics Support, FAQ, Terminology

"What do the terms Linearized Force and Torque, Control Loading and Siilk Technology mean?

The Linearized Force and Torque technology uses patented electromagnetic design and software algorithms for motion control, eliminating load cells and torque sensors and replacing expensive mechanical gears, pulleys, pneumatics, and hydraulics. With few moving parts, systems are simplified and reliability is improved.

Control loading (CL) is the commercial machine simulator industry method of using variable forces to impart a realistic feel of the simulated machine’s primary control system to the operator. It also is used for remotely piloted aerial vehicles, submersibles, surgical robots, heavy equipment and military vehicles where precision control feel is required. An example of the existing use of Control Loading is the electric steering used in many new automobiles.

Siilk Technology is the trademarked name for our magnetic force feedback linear actuators and subsequent technology."

So to simply answer your query, you can likely consider the IDL-20004 DragonflyVR as being a Control Loading CL Yoke product with an inbuilt power supply unit (minus the Yoke handle which is sold separately) that is offered by Iris Dynamics which contains their siilk-technology component IDL - 1001 Siilk Two Axis Actuator.

"Dragonfly" can be referred to as a given Iris Dynamics Product unit name that features Iris Dynamics Limited IDL proprietary Siilk Technology.

Thus "Siilk" can be referred to as the actual Brand name of the Technology used which is behind and featured within the Iris Dynamics product named DragonflyVR.

The Technical data for the IDL - 1001 Siilk Two Axis Actuator datasheet can be found.

https://vs3.irisdynamics.com/wp-content/...-revA1.pdf

The IDL - 1001 Siilk Two Axis Actuator technology product appears to be offered without a power supply unit for those enthusiasts who want to build to their own unique hobby setup specifications, such a flight sim cockpit building enthusiast with their own plan and designs.

Where as the IDL-20004 DragonflyVR unit product is likely intended for the simpler layman ie: the average desktop flight simmer, who may not have the time and the room for building a unique large scale cockpit setup.

Hope this helps makes things clearer.
01-03-2017, 08:59 PM
Radar, thank you very much for your explaination.
I read it again and then it must be clear for me :-).
Studiying the forum I already had, but it became not so clear for me.
May I conclude, there is one ready to use Dragonfly and a hobbyist version that needs a powersupply and housing, while these two are technically the same when it goes about forces? Is that right ?
01-05-2017, 08:12 AM
Hi bstikkel,
Correct the exact same hardware minus the case/power supply etc. Forces and software interface are identical. The Siilk is really intended for panel mount applications where you will be fabricating mounting brackets etc.

-pat

(01-03-2017 08:59 PM)bstikkel Wrote:  Radar, thank you very much for your explaination.
I read it again and then it must be clear for me :-).
Studiying the forum I already had, but it became not so clear for me.
May I conclude, there is one ready to use Dragonfly and a hobbyist version that needs a powersupply and housing, while these two are technically the same when it goes about forces? Is that right ?