Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have a dead yoke.
06-11-2016, 07:20 PM
I have a dead yoke.
After upgrading firmware v.101 Rev1, the yoke seems to be non responsive, don't know if it's related to the update or not. Last time I've used the yoke was a few days ago, everything seems to be fine. Now I move the yoke in all directions but nothing is happening, also removing the power completely from the yoke don't seem to help.
I've tried to load earlier firmware 100 rev5, but still the same issue.
I've tried both reset and factor reset, nothing is helping.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2016, 08:13 PM
RE: I have a dead yoke.
(06-11-2016 07:20 PM)evanbanalian Wrote:  After upgrading firmware v.101 Rev1, the yoke seems to be non responsive

I had the same first time I tried it. I know you said you tried powering off but I found leaving the power off for a couple of minutes caused the yoke to sort itself out. I think I have had the same issue before when it enters sleep mode.

MarkH

[Image: 74a2117f47009890699829d38699715a.jpg]
06-12-2016, 04:35 AM
(06-11-2016 08:13 PM)MarkH Wrote:  
(06-11-2016 07:20 PM)evanbanalian Wrote:  After upgrading firmware v.101 Rev1, the yoke seems to be non responsive

I had the same first time I tried it. I know you said you tried powering off but I found leaving the power off for a couple of minutes caused the yoke to sort itself out. I think I have had the same issue before when it enters sleep mode.

I've tried that but it didn't help.

Thanks.
06-15-2016, 04:43 AM
Hi Evan,

I got back to you via support ticket but I'll address this here too:

It looks like we're having some issues with calibration data getting left behind with the old firmware. I haven't figured out why only some yokes are doing it yet, but if you notice after a "reset" serial command the following:
++Initializing Position Sensor...
Sensor calibration: A1
X movement range loaded: 2397
Y movement range loaded: 7063
Hardware quadrature decoder initializing...done
Slide potentiometer calibrating...done
Position Sensors setup complete.

But with a 0 for X movement range and some crazy number for Y movement range then you'll need to use the following command to set it straight:

"sensor_calibrate"

Do this after the yoke boots up and enters sleep mode.

Please feel free to post your feedback here instead of our support ticket if you like.
06-21-2016, 05:36 PM
I did a factor reset after installing 101 rev1, but the yoke forces seems to be too strong while flying any airplane , I've tried to use fx and fy with a different values, but it seems too strong and a lot different than the original firmware that came with the yoke.
> settings
Standby timeout (seconds) | 300
Sleep Timeout (seconds) | 7200
LED Gain (if applicable)(0 to 255) | 200
Global Pitch Gain (0 to 255) | 120
Global Roll Gain (0 to 255) | 100
Trim Time (end to end in seconds) | 8.00
Iris Pitch Spring Gain (0 to 127) | 64
Iris Pitch Damping Gain (0 to 127) | 20
Iris Pitch Inertia Gain (0 to 127) | 0
Iris Roll Spring Gain (0 to 127) | 64
Iris Roll Damping Gain (0 to 127) | 32
Iris Roll Inertia Gain (0 to 127) | 0
Internal Effects Enabled? | yes
External Effects Enabled? | yes
06-28-2016, 07:31 AM
Is there a way to get original firmware that came with yoke in the first place ?
06-30-2016, 11:00 AM
Hi Evanbanalian,

We're not officially supporting older firmware releases anymore, but if it's something you really want, email support@irisdynamics.com

I wouldn't recommend it though. Sorry to hear that you have to re-tune your sim, but I would recommend setting the forces on your yoke to full, and then setting up your sim or plug in so that it gives you the forces that you want.

If you globally reduce the forces with "fx" and "fy," your sim can't use the full range of forces on your yoke. If you instead just tune down the centering forces in the sim or plugin though, you'll still have access to hard landing bumps for example, or sharp stall buffet effects.
07-01-2016, 09:34 AM
(06-30-2016 11:00 AM)Kyle Wrote:  Hi Evanbanalian,

We're not officially supporting older firmware releases anymore, but if it's something you really want, email support@irisdynamics.com

I wouldn't recommend it though. Sorry to hear that you have to re-tune your sim, but I would recommend setting the forces on your yoke to full, and then setting up your sim or plug in so that it gives you the forces that you want.

If you globally reduce the forces with "fx" and "fy," your sim can't use the full range of forces on your yoke. If you instead just tune down the centering forces in the sim or plugin though, you'll still have access to hard landing bumps for example, or sharp stall buffet effects.

Thank you for your respond kyle, but can you tell me if the forces and the behavior that I'm getting from the yoke after the firmware upgrade is normal or not. I have Fsforce and I have to tweak all the settings for it to feel normal.
Thanks again.
07-06-2016, 02:49 AM
(07-01-2016 09:34 AM)evanbanalian Wrote:  Thank you for your respond kyle, but can you tell me if the forces and the behavior that I'm getting from the yoke after the firmware upgrade is normal or not. I have Fsforce and I have to tweak all the settings for it to feel normal.
Thanks again.

Hi Evanbanalian,

It will be normal for you to need to tweak the forces on your plugin for now. What we would like to see happen is for simulator companies like XPlane and P3D to firstly implement their own (working) force feedback components to their sims. They've started to include this functionality but in our experience, it's unfinished and non-functional.

Secondly though, we'd like to see at least one of the bigger companies (all if possible) agree on a standardized unit to send force effects with. This would allow us to ensure that there was a uniform experience between users and ultimately between sims.

Until that time, unfortunately you'll just need to set things up so they feel realistic to you.
12-04-2016, 12:22 PM
I am using an Iris Dynamics Yoke kick starter and purchased FS Force and have just installed the yoke add on.

All are activated. I am running FSX with windows 10. Here is my problem. The first day I installed the "yoke add on" things went pretty well. After a shut down of the computer the next day the Iris Yoke would not wake up.

I have tried unplugging it and it goes through a start up to a green light and then immediately goes back to deep sleep. I have tried rebooting the computer, unplugging the USB plug. Plugging into a different port and combinations of the last three efforts. The yoke will not wake up. I am getting some output from the yoke to FSX but it is very soft and of course no force feedback and no fan.

I have had the yoke for about a year with no problems. I have just started using FS Force this past week and yoke add on. The last software chance was the "yoke add on" activation.

I tried plugging the yoke into another computer I had been using the yoke with for about a year and it still will not wake up.

I have sent two emails to support but there has been no response. Does anybody have a suggestion?